Those in the cancer community can be at higher risk to be impacted by COVID-19 and it behooves us to make sure we are taking the proper precautions to protect ourselves.
Here are some basic guidelines:
1. Decrease the Opportunities We Come into Contact With the Virus
I know this one is pretty basic and we’ve heard it a lot but it’s good to review and make sure we are being vigilant and that the people around us are too. It’s probably good to error a little bit on the over protective side…it just really isn’t worth the risk to be nonchalant about it.
2. Strengthen Your Immune System
Our lives have been turned upside down the last couple of weeks. With all the new restrictions, working from home, children doing school at home, parents taking on the role of teacher along with all their other responsibilities, trying to make sure we have the needed food and supplies, etc…
In times of stress, changes to daily schedules and uncertainty it is VERY easy to let go of the things that can really keep us strong and healthy. Take a look at the list and do a little self check.
- Eat a healthy, nutritious diet including lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Get enough sleep. When we are under going added stress in our lives we may be in need of extra sleep. It’s not being lazy…it’s being smart.
- Exercise regularly. With gyms closed down, this can be a hard one for some. Check out You Tube for some great videos to keep you moving. Moving your body is also a great stress reliever. Get the whole family involved!
- Stay hydrated. Adult bodies are 60% water and many of our bodies functions rely on hydration to work at their peak. When we are trying to strengthen our bodies ability to do its job well this is not a time to skimp on the water. A simple formula is to drink half your weight in water. For example, if you weight 150 you need to drink 75 ounces of water a day.
- Manage Stress. Totally eliminating stress and anxiety in the current state of things is not really reasonable. However, there is a lot we can do to manage it and not let it overwhelm us. *Watch for a post in the next few days for ideas on calming our minds 🙂
- Don’t smoke, Limit Drinking
- Limit exposure to environmental toxins. Our bodies need to be strong and over loading them with toxins can weaken them and makes them work harder.